Sunday, May 27, 2007

stereotype of hiphop music

I like hip hop. I like the sound of bass and drum and I like the dance. I too like movies, so watching hip hop music increases endorphins in my body. But I always have a question in my mind that why does hip hop music always have to be focused on black people? Also, it seems that the movies are aiming at revealing senses of violence, sex and racism. No need to mention that, hip hop music represents the soul of black people about the conflictions and inferiority they have in the past. However, in this new millennium, it seems that the black is not living in darkness anymore. In most of the hip hop films, black people are poor and weak but violent. They speak violent languages, they fight and they do drugs. Black people do not stand up to the public, they perform in underground. They always struggle to achieve their goals but it is never easy because they are not superior. Ironically, they always become a winner at the end. This is the stereotypical and boring structure of the hip hop movie. The merit of the hip hop music is that it has music and dance which audiences love to watch. In my opinion, not only film but the media continues to keep the negative image of the black. Media portrays a perception of hip hop as well as black music. Yet, media is not the only material that keeps the stereotype of black people. It seems that they prefer to be that way, if we watch hip hop music video.

No comments: