Thursday, May 31, 2007

What keeps us watching Pop Idol?

When listening to the lecture on Thursday I found out that there was a wide range of Pop Idol shows all over the world. I realise that if little NZ has their own NZ Idol show then of course other countries would to, but I had no idea that Norway and India were amongst these countries. I guess it goes to show that I am not a Pop Idol fan, but I do understand why some people are a fan of the show and why it has become so popular around the world.

‘American Idol’ and ‘NZ Idol’ are the only Pop Idol shows that I have seen and as a viewer I can see why people get hooked. Every week the show brings you entertainment, Simon Cowell in all his glory as the judge most choose to despise and disagree with, it shows you people making an embarrassment out of themselves which viewers love to see and laugh along to. The show allows the audience to basically choose who their next ‘Idol’ will be, so they are able to participate which keeps them coming back and sitting in front of the couch each week to see what will happen and if the person they want to win the most will go through to the next round.

“Reality TV Magazine.com” said that, “the reason that American Idol has reached heights no other television show has achieved is because of a perfect combination of hosting, judging, casting, marketing, and viewer participation.” I agree with this full heartedly as American Idol was not the first show that involved viewers participation in choosing who they would like to win, but it has however become the most popular reality music show because of factors such as, judges, audience participation and casting.

No comments: