Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Old School Band Sing-Off to the Death or Something

On one of my wiki scrounges, I came upon this gem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_Me_Baby_One_More_Time


No, it's not that truly dire song by B. S...pears, but in fact a kind of sing off between a number of big names back in the day condensed into a weekly format. Five popstars a week sing their best known hit and another recent hit, garnering votes. Old format done with people I am actually familiar with. Like wow.
Though it only appeared to have been done in 2005, it is still a concept that is somewhat intriguing to me, no less because I still listen to some of the songs that are listed as a particular person's trademark. Though a number of the names give me complete blanks, I believe that most have been plucked from the 80's and thus putting the target audience at around my age upwards (or perhaps someway downwards, I don't like to think that I'm 'un-hip' or 'not with it' as they say).
I found it funny that they put Haddaway in it, only having heard of him at around the same time two years ago as this show was aired thanks to an internet meme that was playing to his song 'What is Love?' (a Saturday Night Live skit playing off a scene(s) from 'A Night at the Roxbury'). I wouldn't know who he was otherwise.
I found it funnier still that Vanilla Ice won his respective week in the American version (though I still only knew 'What is Love?'(1993) and 'My Sharona' (1979)).
Still, with faces that are familiar from my youth and am still rediscovering somewhat, I don't see why we don't pit more old names against each other in viewer voted polls to the finish. It's better than seeing no-name hacks trying to schmooze it up to the judges, gargling and whining their ways to fifteen minute fame (though that depends on whether you thought the singers they chose were hacks as well) and it is an interesting way of bringing back old names and creating more buzz around them. Mostly nostalgia value, but they can still at least look relevant today with their versions of modern hits.

No comments: