What interested me about the morphing topic was probably the links it has with Genre. It strikes me, based on both the lecture and some of the writings here that the idea of morphing and the idea of genre are fundamentally linked (although not entirely inclusive of each other). One thing that uni has been good for is completely deconstructing my view of genre, what defines a genre, and how things fit into a genre. So when the idea that, for example, Michael Jackson as a punk comes up, I immediately began ruminating on genre and how morphing could effect it (see earlier post by Ryan “Michael Jackson as a punk”). Probably more relevant is the morphing that occurs in mash-ups like DJ Dangermouse’s Grey album. The way in which Dangermouse takes what is essentially, the ultimate extension of one genre (The 1960’s British invasion, psychedelia, pop (whatever you want to call it, The White Album was genre defining(which is funny enough given that it was genre defying too but I’ll try and avoid getting into that.)) and an epitomising example of another(Jay-z’s Black album – I’ll admit I’m not entirely sure of Jay-z’s critical reception) and combines them with out (I feel anyway) losing the greatness of either artist or having the new mashed up tracks sound terrible, or contrived or even syncopated is a fascinating example to me of morphing, and of the idea of genre being undermined(again)
(Wow, there’s a lot of brackets in this.)
(and that last sentence is ridiculously long because of it. I'm terribly proud.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment