Thursday, May 31, 2007

American Idol

American Idol is a singing competition for normal people like you and I. Shows like American Idols are very interesting because instead of showing the illusion of being a pop star, it shows the process of a normal group of people just like everyday you and I become stars. Shows like American Idol are sucessful due to many reasons, and one of the main reasons are because the audience can relate to the competitors, and then believe that this can happen to them as well. The audience feel attatched because it is not a one off show, the process of becoming a star wasn't show within the hour, but a whole season, therefore the audience become attatched to the competitors so you get cases like little girls crying for Sajaya Manekar.
I agree that the audience are well aware of these discourses, how the show is packaged to make them attatched so that they will watch the show every week, purchase the soundtracks and support the show.

No comments: