Sunday, May 27, 2007

On and On…

Reading through some of the posts, there seems to be a lot of thoughts on hip-hop as a negative force in one way or another. Not the negatives of absolutes as in being counter to order, but more in its influences on the masses. I agree to most of the things said about it and the questions raised, such as the reality of it as form, content and utility. The appeal is from the socio-political with which the consumers identify, or that’s what it was originally about, I know it’s the culture in terms of image and the attributes it applies to a person who belongs to it.

The hip-hop music video is probably the one that shows the transformation as I see it. The visuals from origin were used to attract attention, but its now about acquiring these visuals that symbolise some form of status within a group. It seems that the video is more a form of escapism then before. Where portraying reality was the purpose to get a ‘real’ reaction in order for something to be done. Now it’s about escaping from that reality that still exists into one which few successful (lucky?) one have gotten to.

Sounds like I was negative on it too, not intentionally as listening to hip-hop is something I enjoy occasionally, guess my personal peeve is with the abstract visual element to it, with its physical repercussions.

No comments: