Sunday, May 27, 2007
Fact or Fiction?
While I was browsing around Real Groovy Records I noticed that they had a special edition of Oliver Stone's The Doors film for sale really cheap. Remembering how much I enjoyed the movie when I saw it years ago and knowing how much I love the Doors' music, I just had to purchase it. When I got home it instantly became deposited in the DVD player and I again really enjoyed the film. However, it got me thinking about how this could be a rather one sided view or fabricated story of the life of Jim Morrison. As I watched the special features it was mentioned that Oliver Stone had interviewed many people that knew Jim Morrison and that the Doors band members John Densmore, Ray Manzarek and and Robby Krieger were 'technical advisors' on the film. However, the actual historical accuracy may have been blurred by Oliver Stone's artistic view of the film. In the documentary The Road Of Excess certain characters such as Patricia Kennealy expressed themselves as being upset by the representation of Jim Morrison and the historical inaccuracy. I have also discovered that Ray Manzarek has written a novel in which he curses Oliver Stone for mis-representing the lead singer of the band. I think it just goes to show that even though some films are meant to be the true story of an artists life it is still a work of fiction. Therefore, it still a work of the director's imagination and is not neccessarily based on fact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment