Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Differing Representations of Peaches and The Dixie Chicks

A couple of weeks ago, a blogger questioned “How it is that 'Peaches' sexually derogatory attack on President Bush is not back lashed against to the extent of ‘The Dixie Chicks'?” They proposed a conclusion of sorts which rested on the idea that perhaps we are more accepting of controversial comments made through lyrics with the “distraction of a tune”. I agree with this but think that there is still a lot more to it and that the differing representations of The Dixie Chicks and Peaches is a significant factor.

I think the ideas and images which artists present work somewhat as signifiers, which the listener/consumer decodes and uses to inform their relationship with both the artist as a star and their music. Because the Dixie Chicks perform Country Music, they have always represented themselves as traditionally would be expected of female artists within the genre: good, wholesome, feminine, all-American. They have also in the past publicised the fact that they are mothers and from Texas. I hate to talk in generalities because I know that The Dixie Chicks are a huge band, but in the US at least, Country Music has often been aligned with right wing politics. Because of this, I can imagine that many of their right wing listeners would have decoded all these signs and come to the conclusion that just like them, The Dixie Chicks supported the US and of course their President, George Bush. So much so, that when lead singer, Natalie Maines made her comment, I can imagine that it caused them to completely re-evaluate their relationship to The Dixie Chicks as stars and their music.

In contrast, the same cannot be said of Canadian electro-rock artist Peaches. The images that she portrays are as confrontational and controversial as the sexual and political ideas expressed through her lyrics. Notably, she is not a Top 40 artist and despite having had some rotation on C4 etc., still exists on the periphery of popular music. Both her music videos and live performances focus significantly on the notion of performance and are incredibly sexual. Because the way that she represents herself is so overt, she automatically is unable to be marketed towards a mainstream audience and so her political views are instantaneously shielded from a large sector of society. I think this initial factor would protect Peaches from the types of attacks that The Dixie Chicks suffered. Also, of those that do enjoy her music, I would argue that many of them are aware while consuming her music that she is a controversial artist. This is because she is still quite underground and so her music has to be more actively obtained than the more mainstream, such as The Dixie Chicks.

No comments: