So I was totally vibing out to some sweet visualiser visuals on iTunes the other day and got to wondering about to what extent they could be considered a kind of futuristic form of music video. We can't really treat them as music videos in the convenional sense and I'm not particularly down with the technical side of that kind of thing but don't they still need a 'director' in so far as there must be someone making the software who programs the visualiser in the first place and tells the computer to associate volumes and frequencies with differnt colours and shapes and all that kind of thing. Even with this minimal and anonymous human input, is it still a kind of unique 'organic' music video given that ultimately what it is is a bunch of images on screen set to music? For the sake of a point to this blog entry I'm going to say yes and in future stuff like iTunes visualiser will be seen as a primitive form of something which will have developed to be recognised as a legitimate (but artist-less?) art form.On a less futuristic note the video for 'Dont Matter' by Akon just came on TV, remember when Akon was in a Savage song and nobody really cared because he wasn't famous or anything? Re-release it already! This song always reminds me of 'Ignition (Remix)' by R. Kelly which, I guess it goes without saying, is a far superior song.
Now the 'Crazy Yes Dumb No' video is on, I think this is probably the worst New Zealand video... since 'Crawl' by Atlas? Seriously though, it just kind of reminds me of the days when everyone would cringe as soon as they saw a NZ on Air logo in the corner of the screen. Check it out suburbia is still as wacky as ever in 2007 and to demonstrate this we've decided to run with a video that could have been used for a Zed song in 1997.
OK so lets make this blog cohesive by concluding that I'd rather watch what iTunes visualiser has to offer than that one Mint Chicks video. The whole visualiser aesthetic is kind of in these days too, check out the latest Dimmer video.
Also as an unrelated postscript Blogger is in Chinese today. This is noteworthy because to the best of my knowledge I am not nor have I ever been Chinese.
No comments:
Post a Comment