Hey,
This is a bit strange and off-topic, but thought I'd mention it. The Jack Rabbit Slims diner clip from Pulp Fiction Nabeel screened in the compilation scores lecture on nostalgia and pastiche in Boogie Nights reminded me of a 1995 Farmers (Where the Price is Right! Strange, I know) catalogue I discovered a few years back among some papers. From memory, the clothing section had these photographs of girls and guys modeling casual denim and cotton mid-nineties gear in a simulated diner setting, with the '40s Wurlitzer jukebox and art-deco and kitschy '50s and '60s background decor straight out of the Pulp Fiction scene. I thought it was pretty interesting that a film's style impacted on fashion trends here in New Zealand. It's also a kind of reversal of the mainstreaming of a subculture's style from the screen to the 'street'. I think there's an actual Jack Rabbit Slims somewhere in Europe in the style of the diner in the ref-laden, intertextual-heavy clip. As the all of the earlier posts mention, the paradoxical nature of a subculture's dual existence both within and against the mainstream and the 'poser' movement can be tied back to the malleable nature of a subculture's attitude and style. I agree with the idea that the reduction and repackaging of the punk attitude and musical style to a series of images, a collection of signs, and a few icons works to obscure its 'authentic' roots. Even the Teds of the '50s (lower class rebel-types affecting a kind of distorted middle-class Edwardian appearance), or the rockers of the '60s can be linked with punk or even hip-hop in that they share a similar social-political-musical reaction against the mainstream, and the original desire to effect a kind of social change through music. But as mentioned in the earlier posts, when a newly-commodified subculture is made accessible through music and fashion, a middle-class kid in dire need of street cred can easily fashion themselves into the likeness of the artist onscreen. Often a subculture knowingly constructs itself from recognisable commodities, and I think that's where the 'underground' anticipates the mainstream's interest. I guess a listener's genuine identification with the lyrics or claim on a style outside of their background adds to the tricky nature of musical subcultures. Anyone else remember any transfers of a subculture to the screen or from the screen to popular culture? I might have a look for that catalogue again.
Stella
Monday, May 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment