Saturday, May 19, 2007

Status Quo, according to who?

In light of the punk and hip hop lectures, as a person who is neither “African American”, nor “white”, I could identify with the hip hop culture more as a person of color, because hip hop empowered and inspired many people in an artistic sense for black people or “ethnic” people all over the world. I felt like I belonged to a cultural movement just because I was born a different color than white. On the other hand I also find punk quite empowering in its art and symbolism; however the music never appealed to me, never made me feel good, or inspired. It seemed to be quite pessimistic and angry in a revolutionary sense. It seems to me that hip hop and punk, from the start tried to get away from stereotypes and the status quo, but in chasing away these norms, they were painted into a corner, where even their own genre became a norm with its own status quo. It is interesting to see the two genres pigeonholed in two opposite corners. Hip hop is going the opposite direction of punk now, where hip hop is painted as very commercialized with a rich black man image and punk is restrained to a white angry male image.

No comments: