Hey all,
I haven't had much time to read through all the posts this week so I hope that this has not been mentioned already. I was thinking about the shop 'sex' which was featured in the lecture and I began to question the relationships between punk, fashion and consumerism.
At what point does punk stop being anti- consumerism? When punk t-shirts start to be mass produced and sold as a sort of "punk must have" ( e.g. the upside down crusifix t-shirt featured on at least two slides on differnent punks in the class) does punk become just another avenue through which global corporations can make more money? Spending money in order to present a certain style, image or view of yourself to other people is often associated with wearing labels, but can also be applied to the no label aesthetic of punk.
I guess what I am saying is that you can say you don't like 'the man', his system and his ideology, but you cannot escape from it.
Andrew.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment