Thursday, May 17, 2007

Booty vs. Talent

One thing I couldn’t help but think about during Nabeels lecture this week was the way women where represented in Hip Hop in the early days and how they are represented now. For example in Wild Style Rose seems to be given a great deal of respect for being a graffiti artist, but as time has gone by things seem to have taken a different turn. It seems now that women in Hip Hop is more about male commodities rather then expression of shear talent. No doubt there are female Hip Hop artist out there that are completely talented and I guess I am making a huge generalization, but if you take something like graffiti which is well known as being apart of the Hip hop culture and at the same time is well known for the element of respect that goes with it, it just seems that some how the representation of women in this light has been lost. The images presented in the lecture on Wednesday only contribute to this idea as they progressed from one extreme to the next.

Matt C.

No comments: