I was snooping about the specs for Harmonix's new game, expanding on the already successful Guitar Hero series. Incorporating a microphone, two guitars and a drumset (I think), the plan is to recreate a standard cover band in the living room for aspiring cover artists and the likes. I'm not sure how the system is meant to work, but I would think it's like Guitar Hero plus Singstar, plus another guitar and some drums.
I got to wondering: the replacement of real instruments with peripherals that look and kinda function like them is bringing out another element to those guys who like to air guitar and sing in the shower. The added competitive element gives people something to brag about and company interest in making songs interactive is a nice touch.
An interesting question: does the ease of use of these games detract from wanting to play real instruments, or does it encourage it? I'm sure there are those who want to further their repertoire with the playing of an actual instrument, but it doesn't have the same competitive element that is featured so prominently in games these days, nor the ease of making songs sound good if you work well enough (I am under the assumption that getting good with an instrument takes time: I still couldn't play a recorder after years of practise, and Radiohead lied when they said everyone could play guitar). I've even heard comments from guitar good guys that like to kick back with a game of GH rather than practise the real thing.
I know that MTV picked up the label and set about adding their own touches to the series, with obvious market potential in a mostly arcade situation. Just a cursory glance shows that they are wiring up, perhaps leading more and more artists down the interactive avenue. It would be interesting to say the least.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment