Thursday, May 10, 2007
Music Videos
I always thought that a music video is made to portray the narrative of a song and express the story behind both the song and the music. But then i was told that telling a narrative was not the first priority in a music video and that a music video is more about attracting the consumers or the sound rhyming with the images. I am sort of disappointed really because if i was a singer and if i were to produce an album I would want to add value to my songs by showing what the songs are really about. I mean that is why we have titles for each song and album, it is to just give the consumer a good idea what it is about. on top of that how would a song writer feel if I as the singer produce an album using his or her songs and then make a music video that is not even about what the song is about. I am not sure how it works in the professional music industry but isn't a song writer like a poet who writes based on the stories that he or she has made up in their mind. I mean I would imagine how disappointed a song writer would be if the music video looks nothing like he or she has pictured it to be while writing the song. I may be wrong but i thought i'd just bring that up and see if anyone with more knowledge of music videos or song writing could correct me on that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are in fact right. A recent example is the music vid for 'Naked Sun' by ... And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. They got told their label was making a video which they had no input into at all. The vid is pretty crap and the band has said so themselves. It seems to be all about making $$ aye?
Post a Comment