Saturday, May 12, 2007

FAVOURITE MUSIC VIDEO:



This is one of my favourite and most memorable music videos, The Chemical Brothers video for ‘star guitar’. Being a drummer and quite a visual person when it comes to music, I enjoyed seeing how the beat was integrated into the visuals of a train ride. I usually notice when I’m listening to music on the bus that I find myself instinctively visually syncing the music with the objects that fly past, footsteps of people and cars, to the music. Personally, in this example the visuals and this particular song, make the music holistically more enjoyable, as one can imagine the video clip, listen to the music, and physically relate to the song. It has been mentioned in the blog that particular video clips take away from the music, and leave a ’bad taste in ones mouth’ depending on the genre. Indeed, visual cues to any genre of music are quite powerful in contributing to the way we remember songs or even advertisements. Techno or electronica, seem to embody these visual forms in its history, and add to the relationship of the music and its audience (in terms of contextualizing the experience of techno music, dance parties and raves).

I particularly favour this video clip, (along with video clips by Daft Punk, Groove armada ‘get down’ and numerous artists of the genre) because the very form of non-verbal music allows for the visuals to express the artists’ intentions. Especially since artists of techno/dance music are not usually shown in their video clips. However, apart from dace and techno, many video clips for different genres allow the music transcend the image of the artists involved or try to embody an experience.

No comments: