Thursday, May 10, 2007

Is Emo the New Punk?

From looking at a couple other blogs it seems that there is a belief that punk was confined to its historical context, that it can not exist in the same way now because it became too popular to truly keep up its philosophy, and that anything remotely considered to be punk now is also too 'poppy'. Perhaps this is true, if it is the case that movements like punk are glued to a certain period in history then surely they can also influence similar movements within more modern contexts. Without knowing much about either the punk or the emo phenomenon, I am (some what ignorantly) suggesting that emo could be the new punk, but in this sense of having become a popular style of existence.

Emos seem to take influence from the punk and goth movements and have created something unique to the 21st century. If asked, an emo might say that they choose their style because they want to be an individual, they want to defy the 'norm' and escape the status quo. Maybe they even achieved this in the early days, but today, its not hard to spot an emo, in fact you would usually see a huge group of emos together. The style has become so widespread that it seems to me it is totally contradictory now to assume that 'emo' is original and individualistic. The codes and signs of emo (similar to those of punk and goth anyway, with black clothes, piercing, mismatched items, offensive slogans, and of course chucks) are such huge commodities now.

Although I have to give credit to the whole Chuck Taylors thing, in the beginning anyway; taking a successful brand and turning it into a sign of your alternative, anti society style.

I'm not sure than many emos even do know why they are emos or what it means, and the point is, does this matter anymore? Hasn't it followed in the footsteps of punk; become popularised so that the wannabes think its the coolest thing around and the pure emos find it has lost its appeal.

On the music side, while there may be specific types of niche emo music, the corporate music industry has also capitalised on the emo trend, bands that can be classed as emo for their mood and lyrics of music and the way they appear visually play on MTV which is the epitomy of popular, normative culture.

Does anyone else see the similarities with the way punk played out as a cultural shock then phenomenon then trend?

PS: this is not intended to offend anyone, as I said it is a fairly ignorant opinion :)

1 comment:

Amelia F-K said...

I don't know allot about Punk,and Emo......but my feeling is; Punk had a more social, political and meaningful origin. once Punk became very popular and its culture was present in music and music videos and the media in general, it possibly began to lose some of its validity, meaning, purpose, authenticity????? But i think Emo-ness entered into our lives right on a meaningless level. I never heard or saw Emo's standing outside parliament demanding better rights for youth workers for exapmle, i guess i mean when i think of Emos i don't think, "oh yea them Emos are awesome for standing up to "The Man" and really stikn it to em" they havnt made a important contribution to contempory society. I'm more inclined to think that about the eraly days/ emergence of Punk. I also think once the media get their hands on a good thing like, R&B, Rock, Punk, or Hip Hop, they (media/ corporations etc) cant help but stylise a movement, take control of it, and commodify all aspects of the social/ cultural movement???? I guess at this stage I'm referring to music videos, fashion styles, accessories, music, cerntin attitudes and behaviours, then films based around/ inspired by what ever the movement is, Punk, Rock, Hip Hop. I really don't think there is anything that 'important' that Emos stand up for....but then again maybe that is not the point or purpose of Emo-ness????? I can see how Emo-ness has been influencced by the Punk fashion, but i do not think that Emo is the new Punk, nop not at all :)