Friday, May 25, 2007

Morphing?

Hey guys, was just reading through the last few entries on stylistic morphing, and as I have yet to read the full text in the Course book was wondering if Morphing as a concept was limited exclusively to a visual term, a la Michael Jackson's "Black or White" and "Biggest Loser", or as a phenom in house music sampling. My musical knowledge is incredibly basic, but I've always wondered about the timining implicit in a musical piece. Timing in the 4/4 or 8 beats per bar kind of thing etc in musical theory. I was always interested in the idea of the segue joining together different parts of a song without a noticible jar or dischord. The thought I had with regard to Computer recording technology was what the affect would be to make a program that could instantaneously fill in the different sound between each note, thereby providing a contious ascending and descending harmony from note to note, but at the same time no matter the tempo of the music, allowing a clearly heard melody, rather than just an electronic change in pitch or town. i.e not up high then down low, in a sense of a zig zag but rather more like a continuous change in realtime from a high chord or key to a lower or higher one and then back, e.g on a piano a-a-c-a/c-c-d-c or what have you would not have a space between the individual notes played. the computer would morph the notes together so that at the specific beat/point in the piece where c or a is played thats what you hear, but in between the change from a-c would be audible. As I've said this different and very likely stupid conception of audio morphing, may not work, being more of a physics student rather than a musician, I am assuming the sound waves will peak trough and superimpose to make this work out, but it is just as likely that they would cancel leaving a horribble white noise instead of music or intermittent warbles that ruin the timing of the entire piece.
What this though was relating to was more the idea I had based on others descriptions of visual and musical morphing of how all of these techniques could be combined imaginatively to create more original and unique takes or samplings of classic music and film edits. As always making a potential tool box bigger leads to more possibilities of expression.

Cheers.

Mike-L

No comments: