Sunday, May 20, 2007

Aesthetics of Music


I was watching a film on TV the other day called Garage Days (2002). It is an Australian film directed by Alex Proyas about a garage band trying to get their big break in the music industry but unfortunately they sucked (to quote the tagline of the film). While the narrative of the film was not the best that I have seen, I thought what it showed was the different aesthetics within the music industry. After talking about Punk and Hip Hop aesthetics in the past 2 weeks I saw similar elements in Garage Days. The band members had a combination of differing aesthetics ranging from; the typical boy next door to the rock chick to the punk rocker. All the styles of the band members are not what could be called hard core but rather softened in what could be an attempt to appeal to the majority of the audience. Also the film did not have much ‘live’ music which made me wonder how you are meant know what music genre the band fits into when you don’t hear them play and when there is a combination of music styles represented within the band. Maybe the point of the various aesthetics was to work with the narrative that the band sucked as a way to suggest that the band member’s styles do not fit together and should not be combined into a band.

No comments: