Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fraidy Cats

Last lecture Nabeel suggested that tagging, as we understand it today, has been in place long before the US hip hop culture claimed it as an art form. This ‘art’, basically being defined as the application of letters or images on public or private property, without permission.

To some it is the defacing or property, a senseless, mindless activity that is closely associated with street crime. But I think it’s important to note that parts of our society will view this ‘art crime’ as something that identifies the individual or group of individuals responsible for its placement. The latter being a more positive view on something that clearly defies the law and encourages criminal activity.

So I’m wondering, what do I think?
Yesterday sitting on the south Auckland train I had another look at the streaks of colour that I have become so accustomed to for three years. I decided not only am I not offended by the overload of letters and titles sprawled across what could be respectable looking property, but I find I might almost be intrigued by this art form. With all due respect to the taggers within our society, I do not find there to be any sense in the bland spontaneity of one liner graffiti, by this I’m referring to a straight downward stroke and a quickly sprawled ‘MR G’ before gapping to the next vulnerable surface. (See below) I mean how bad ass can you be if you wont stick around and wait for the ‘pigs’ to surface. Fraidy cats.


Nor do I support the mutilation of the Johnsons newly built brick fence representing hours of labour from Mr Johnson and his son. Yet I sat on the smelly train and watched miles of beautiful colours it left me feeling... not influenced or inspired …definitely not as though I wanted to adopt the habit for myself… but I guess you could say I was left with an appreciation of this ‘destructiveness’ as more of an art form. Graffiti art represents hours of creation, and all to relay one simple message, ‘I am a gangster and this is my tag bitch’

1 comment:

Timothy said...

So here is a classical dilema.
I hate (and i realise that word is a serious one) the taggers who spraypaint on my shop's wall every weekend, or at least every other weekend. (there is more tagging in school holidays and less in winter... don't have to be Einstien to figure out what that means, but i digress).

The reason I hate them is because every sunday afternoon i have to go and paint over their artistically uninspiring nonsense. And it is nonsense because we're dealing with kids. (again you don't have to be Einstien when the tags are so close to the ground).

Anyway the reason this is a dilemma is because i can appreciate the artisic integrity of 'real' graffiti.

Bubble writing in all different coulours, depictions of scenes and people.

Displayed.

As art.

In galleries, or on the author's property.

Stupid stringy letters on my wall are just plain dumb.

This is not an academic blog.

I just got annoyed after reading this post and agreeing with the author.