I believe that graffiti art that was shown in the lecture in terms of pink lady is legitimate graffiti and this is not destruction of property as seen by the majority of the public on the subject of graffiti. In terms of it’s origins in New York City being an identifier of territory similar to that of a dog defecating a pole to signal the boundaries of their territory is extremely animal like. This has evolved to the art of graffiti due to the sparse space available for graffiti artists to put their mark on the world. The evolution of graffiti has taken a turn for the worse I believe, in terms of society wanting to rid the world of graffiti artists or taggers. I think that the better solution would be to allow and encourage genuine graffiti artists to paint their art works on walls in public areas, this would allow vandals whom some graffiti artists start out as to both vent their frustrations on the world and also to channel their frustrations on the world in a positive and constructive manner. In this final point I believe schools in poor metropolitan areas around the world should encourage this form of art instead of ridiculing the perpetrators. This both gives the graffiti artists a view on the world that they are both valued and that they can break the mould.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Graffitti as a notion of identity
I believe that graffiti art that was shown in the lecture in terms of pink lady is legitimate graffiti and this is not destruction of property as seen by the majority of the public on the subject of graffiti. In terms of it’s origins in New York City being an identifier of territory similar to that of a dog defecating a pole to signal the boundaries of their territory is extremely animal like. This has evolved to the art of graffiti due to the sparse space available for graffiti artists to put their mark on the world. The evolution of graffiti has taken a turn for the worse I believe, in terms of society wanting to rid the world of graffiti artists or taggers. I think that the better solution would be to allow and encourage genuine graffiti artists to paint their art works on walls in public areas, this would allow vandals whom some graffiti artists start out as to both vent their frustrations on the world and also to channel their frustrations on the world in a positive and constructive manner. In this final point I believe schools in poor metropolitan areas around the world should encourage this form of art instead of ridiculing the perpetrators. This both gives the graffiti artists a view on the world that they are both valued and that they can break the mould.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment