In one of the previous blogs the comparison was made between music videos of today and soft porn. I don’t think that women are being exploited however, I think it’s a kind of post feminism thing.
The good ole pussycat dolls – don’t cha just love ‘em? Even though they wear next to no clothes in their videos I don’t think they are being exploited because they have a sense of agency. Through their lyrics: “I don’t give a… if ya looking at my…”, “I don’t need a man to make me feel good” and who can forget the notorious, “don’t cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me.” And their dance moves, I get the feeling that it’s their choice to dress this way. (Even if it a marketing ploy… they are selling it like it’s their choice.)
Fiona Apple however, looks like she has no agency. With her solemn pout and, the fact that she is lying or sitting on the ground with the cameras above her makes it look like she was forced into that situation. It looks like she is being exploited and she is selling it like she is being exploited.
On the flipside, by acting like she had no agency, didn’t she exploit the music industry and the public, by the fact that the song became a hit, because of the video?
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment