Sunday, March 25, 2007

music&visuals in music videos

Referring to “Image Supremacy” about image dominance in film based media. In terms of music videos I believe image can be secondary, although I guess it can depend on whether one was introduced first to the song, or the music video. It is known that the images to music videos are rarely a visual narration to its song. So I believe that we do at times question ‘how an image fits into the structure of a narrative’, where in this case the song is the narrative. Most often songs don’t have storylines that can have a direct visual narration, but I believe that we still often try and interpret music videos via the words of the song.
However in some other music videos where there are references to existing media such as film or TV series where the visuals and song have no connection whatsoever except for synergy. For example ‘Lights surrounding you’ by Evermore, the visual narrative is the life story of a Home&Away character, and the song is about a relationship. Here in one way I think the visuals can be powerful when watching the music video because the images don’t relate to the words at all. “Image Supremacy” states how image forms the basis of understanding and here I see the visuals as creating a narrative of their own because the music video uses a montage of images to tell the story of Sally the H&A character, but not an understanding of the song itself. I think the music still drives the music video because the music has an engulfing presence where the visuals don’t because there is no dialogue or sound effects for the visuals so it is the music and lyrics that are primary and controls the way we try and understand the visuals in terms of its relation with the song.

No comments: