Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The OC effect in NZ

In thinking about how evident is the OC effect in the New Zealand content.
Just as a question out into the open domain. How many people whom check this blog know the band death cab for cutie, or postal service and the decemberists. If you do please leave a comment in this post. Because I have asked all my close friends some of whom are advent myspace users and they still don’t know who they are. So I ask how effective is the OC effect in New Zealand. I guess you can say that we all know who the killers are but that, I think is mostly to do with how the record companies got the radio stations to promote the song. This in effect cause the wave of popularity for the band in New Zealand. It seems as though New Zealand still remains in the dark ages when publicity of generation of popularity is concerned. We still use the normal respected channels of promotion, either though radio stations, free gigs or Music Television. I guess this might have already been picked up by the government and that is why the charter was brought up to overcome this hurdle in technological advancement and distribution of music media. Would shows such as Ponsonby at War, Being Eve or even Shortland St be able to peddle music as effective as The OC, actually are we as a nation of audiences be able to comprehend this phenomenon.

4 comments:

Michelle H said...

I know who Death Cab For Cutie are :) they are one of my favourite bands! Just to add my 2 cents worth, their DVD Directions might be an interesting point of study for those who are looking at music videos. They got various directors to make "mini-movies" (which i guess music videos are anyway to an extent) to accompany the songs from their album Plans... They then posted them on their web site once a week.

"an innovative anthology of 11 short films inspired by each song on the band's acclaimed album Plans. Every song was directed by a different director and includes 2 bonus videos of unreleased songs"
- Amazon.com

Linda. L said...

our flat has the felt the OC effect - we have all seasons on dvd and we know death cab!!
Linda

Rebecca said...

I know Deathcab for Cutie and the postal service but I dont watch the OC so it that may not help

Kevin Veale said...

I've encountered the Decemberists and heard of Death Cab for Cutie, and all without watching any of the OC.

I am intrigued, and will see if the friends I've heard them from watch it instead, in a by proxy exposure fashion.

- Kevin.