I'm a slef confessed fan of girly movies, when I'm sick, when I can't be bothered thinking they are perfect dribble. Using a few hundred examples I want to point to some of the music use in these films, which is interesting for a few reasons.
The use of a pop song is a tried and true method of romantic comedy's, for product placement I'm sure but also to really push the audience to think one particular thing. Notting Hill uses Ronan Keating over and over again that ties the lovers relationship together, it's an easy trick, just like using the same music every time the bad guy is about the enter the room.
Four Weddings and a Funeral starts with 'Love is all around', setting up the style of film from the outset, while the director used the same song slightly changed in his other film, Love Actually. It not only keeps the films tied to themselves but also ties them to the genre and the director, treating them as extentions of each other, not seperate films.
Garden State has always interested me in the way it used specific bands, different songs to move the movie through it's various stages. Whenever the main character 'Andrew' is thinking about something or going somewhere there is another pop-rock track to guide us through. As the movie is all about a sudo journey he takes to find what he is really looking for it fits that the music is not the same and finally ends with a different band of similar music.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment