Monday, March 12, 2007

Throwing the Question Open.

I only really became interested in music relatively recently, and as such I have little handle on what it is that I like. What I thought I'd do this week was put up two songs by a Canadian bar-band that I like as a point of discussion, and also to see if I can throw the doors wide to being told what kind of music this is. At the moment, I have to get people to listen to their music (as I am now) since I can't describe their work. It's not because they're transcendant or emphemeral or "No, you can only experience their glory through listening," just that I lack the tools to do so.

In any case, here they are. I'd recommend not downloading them at university because you're paying for the bandwidth. The files will stay up for a week or so and then I'll pull them down, so if you're interested get into them now.

Kevin Quain and the Mad Bastards - Mister Valentine's Dead

Kevin Quain and the Mad Bastards - The Bells of Hell.

Email contact means that I have written permission to share these in this context. How cool is that?

- Kevin.

4 comments:

Amanda B said...

Not sure what you would call this music but would like to comment that it sounds somewhat similar to a CD my brother has called Rain Dogs by Tom Waits. Although I don’t know how to post up MP3s, this link should take you to the CD on Amazon.com where you can listen to samples of the songs about quarter way down the page:

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Dogs-Tom-Waits/dp/B000001FFJ/ref=sr_1_5/104-9337386-6387954?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173733646&sr=1-5

The songs are very lyric-driven; his harsh voice narrates on dark and derelict corners of society. As such his music has been described as in the style of beat generation poets (Ginsberg, Kerouac etc.).

simon b said...

tried to have a listen kevin but seems the links are expired. might be a problem at my end unless anyone else is having trouble

Kevin Veale said...

Okay, apparently the server space which I uploaded the files to has been moved to a new server, and the files are missing.

I will re-upload them as soon as I get home and post a note saying they're available.

- Kevin.

milesshredder said...

Even though the band is Canidian I would call these two songs Irish Jigs, as they sound not just like Tom Waits as amanda b said but also like the Irish band 'The Pouges', who were also big on drinking songs (the vocalist could peel back too, I heard he had his first pint of Guniess at the tender age of 6). Even though this type of music isint really what I get into I do know for a fact that the Pouges didn't joke around as much with their lyrics. For example, I dont think they had an album with a title like Hangover Honeymoon. If you are into this humerous kind of music I recommed you checkout some Primus. They have some funny music videos that you should be able to access off You Tube.