I was slightly surprised to read that someone had said that musical emotional cues were making audiences lazy - and I'm not sure if I agree with this or not.
Have you ever seen "habla con ella" (talk to her) directed by Pedro Almodovar? It was strange and slightly disturbing as I found myself sort of sympathising with a man who raped a woman in a coma. One of the reasons I did this is because of the emotional cues set up by the music, the "awww feel sorry for me music, a huge injustice has just happened to me music, I raped a woman and now they are sending me to jail, music" - HUH!?
I was even more confused when I handed back the DVD to the AV library desk and the guy asked, "Did you cry?" I was kinda like, what was I supposed to cry about? That a rapist got put in jail and is never going to see the woman that he loves (the one that he raped) again? He got what he deserved didn't he? DIDN'T HE!?
I guess what I was doing, was being lazy and following the cues of the music to tell me how I was supposed to feel about the character. It didn't help that he was the protagonist and all round, nice guy, apart from the rape incident. It was weird because I didn't want to feel sorry for this guy because it goes against everything i have learnt. Raping women is wrong. I felt like i was betraying society by feeling sorry for this guy... Anyway, I guess this kind of shows how much directors can manipulate audiences through music, and I think, Almodovar takes a certain amount of pride in the way he messes with audiences heads. I don't think the musical cues made the audience lazy, however, more like set them up to be disturbed and confused and basically doubt their whole sense of morals and whether they're good people or not...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment