Thursday, March 15, 2007

Some Admin Stuff.

Hello everyone.

Here are some details which I thought I'd mention as they occurred to me.

1) Please do not disable responses to your posts. The whole idea of the blog is to be a community, and if people cannot respond to your ideas then that concept is kneecapped from the start.

2) Since I've had a number of questions about it, yes responses you make to other people's posts can count for the assignment. However, from previous experience it seems a good idea to make your response (if it's going to be a big one) on the main body of the blog, and link to the original post. The reason for this is that you can't search responses and neither can we administrators, and if you can't find your responses you can't hand them in at the end. We can search the main list of posts, and so can you.

3) And here we get to the main thing I wanted to get to. Practically everyone so far has a sensible posting name, which is brilliant. But since we have such a high number of students trickling in over time I thought I'd bring it up again. Please make a posting name which connects to you, personally, otherwise there's no way to know who to give the marks to. We already have one Athena Z who I can't locate on my class list, although that might be because it needs updating. If you've signed up under a name that doesn't connect to you, don't worry. The best solution we came up with in FTVMS203 was that you just need to remember to post your name at the bottom of each post in the text body, and I'll build up a list of who is who over time.

Otherwise, everything's going well. Does anyone have questions?

- Kevin.

2 comments:

simon b said...

yep. i was wondering how you are embedding links to just audio clips. the youtube thing is fine but not sure how to go about mp3's. Also, is it necessary to get permission from the artists or can we let that slide. no doubt ftvms has an army of lawyers
ready to defend us.

thanks

simon

Kevin Veale said...

The only reason I've been able to post MP3s is by hosting the files in remote webspace, and then linking to the files.

I had assumed people would have to download them to listen, so the fact they can stream if you simply click on the files came as a surprise.

In terms of sharing MP3s... Where possible, I am seeking permission from the creators in question, and even in that situation I am hosting the files for a set, delimited period rather than for the duration of the course.

If you want to, at the moment I say go for it but specify the educational context and don't host the files for more than a week or so.

We can duck and cover or claim to have been possessed by communists later on, depending on circumstance.

- Kevin.