Friday, May 4, 2007

Personal soundtracks

I like what Zoe W has said in her post the voice of music about how we have used portable music to become a soundtrack to our own lives. I think that this is very true, and I have thought along these lines for quite some time. Hell, as I’m writing this I’m listening to the mp3’s playing on my computer, although I haven’t used my mp3 player for quite some time (my brother stole my rechargeable batteries and I haven’t quite got them back yet). But I think that we all like to drive round with our own personal ‘theme tune’ in a way, which, as Zoe W as claimed, is probably something that we have garnished from watching films.
I like the music that I play; I can listen to some of these songs over and over. But I listen to them in the way described by Andrew in his post How we hear. I don’t sit down and listen to it; I play it while I do other things (like writing this post). This is how it becomes a soundtrack to my life. My life does not stop while I listen to the song; the song plays while I continue my daily outings. This is probably due to the fact that I can press the ‘repeat’ button (whereas vinyl would find this more difficult) which Andrew hinted at in his blog. But it has become so ingrained that I can keep the song in the background, almost as though the audio is secondary to my life in the same way as it is considered secondary in film.

P.S. Funnily enough, writing this has made me stop to listen to the song playing on my computer.

1 comment:

candicea said...

I would just like to add to the topic of music being used as a personal soundtrack and reflect on the opinions made in other posts. I too, am guilty of needing music in many of my activities, whether I am conciously listening to it or not. I have found that doing this course has made me aware of the importance of music, not just in films but in other forms of media and everyday life. During study, driving, relaxing at home, celebrating something, walking to class, travelling on public transport etc, the assistance of music in my life has become as prominent as it's use in television and film. I too, have my own theme song playing on my MP3 wherever I go, (which changes according to what mood I am in) and find that I am in control of my moods through music, similar to how moods are created through compilation scores in films, television adverts and shows. I understand the obsession of using mp3 players and ipods, or the need for consistent and unlimited access to albums. Listening to music allows one to zone out into their 'own world,' you feel in charge of your own space through selection of musical choice and you determine whether you want to hear the outside world, such as noisy teenagers on the bus or family at home. Also, I have found that music motivates me to do certain activities such as clean the house, excercise or give gifts to others. As said in your blog, music is secondary to my life, I wake up to it, work to it and go to sleep to it, and this observation has me closely considering what music I am listening to.