Thursday, May 3, 2007

From the Beatles to FOB

Right, so I was doing my assignment for a paper I’m doing, POPMUS 207, when I came across some really cool stuff. The assignment was analysing a song of your choice from The Beatles’ Revolver album. I chose Eleanor Rigby.



I noticed an amazing similarity between the rhythm string accompaniment and Bernard Hermann’s score for Psycho. Looking online, I discovered that the arrangement was indeed inspired by Hermann’s work.

Many of you guys have talked about how the ‘affective memory’ and associations the audience have with certain songs makes compilation scores particularly effective and fluid in their ability to draw meaning intertextually.

Well I guess the above is an example of how it works the other way too – how drawing on the stylistic conventions of famous scores or composers brings associations people have with a certain film’s themes or content to a song. Eleanor Rigby is a perfect example, in that it completely recreates the sense of alienation and isolation felt by the Norman Bates. This is fantastic, as the song is able to capture the essence of a two hour movie in 2 minutes.

A modern example of the above? Danny Elfman and Fall Out Boy’s Thnks Fr Th Mmrs (albeit without the same resonance).



Dennis
ID: 3977394

No comments: