Monday, March 19, 2007

50 Greatest Film Soundtracks

... according to The Observer

2 comments:

David W. said...

Did I just read that correctly? The top 50 film soundtracks of all time? Where was Ennio Morricone's score for 'THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY'? It is more memorable that 'A Fistful of Dollars (1964). I guess the earlier film is awarded points for being Morricone's first Spag-western using the unorthodox sound effects and incidental music he became renowned for. But in terms of melody, GOOD/BAD/UGLY is far superior, featuring a theme song that is probably one of the most recognisable themes in the history of music (who hasn't tried whistling it?), as well as a far more dynamic emotional affect within the overall score. If FISTFUL was the first major work by Morricone to be recognised for these trademarks of his, then surely GOOD/BAD/UGLY was the perfection of his technique (While working within the Western genre). And no, I have not ignored 'Once Upon A Time In The West', which is also a contender, but is in my opinion secondary to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I'm very interested in what anyone else has to say on the topic (or any of the other inclusions in the list, for that matter).

Michelle H said...

Ive never really agreed with anything in 'The Top ... of All Time' lists...it usually only reflects one persons opinion. IF it was up to me the soundtracks/scores for David Fincher's Fight Club and Matthew Barney's Drawing Restrain 9 would be up there but then again..thats just my opinion.