Friday, March 23, 2007

Re-feeling through soundtrack

Hey,
This week’s lecture about the Hollywood film soundtrack reminded me the days I used to collect the soundtracks. Listening to the film soundtrack is more enjoyable than just music itself because you unconsciously get emotional effect without the real visuals or images infront of you.
In my opinion, soundtrack has been always popular especially among the film audiences because the soundtrack can evoke emotions and other associations that you had while watching the film without actually having to produce directly through the narratives. In addition, each song contains the image and atmosphere of one particular scene or character so it also can help audiences to recall the special scene or dialogue of the film. I say it is mostly the soundtrack's power that is making audiences to view the same film again and again (that is if the soundtrack is well fitted with the narrative and successful). Soundtrack can be used as a marketing tools and surely help film to achieve sensational result.
These are some of my favourite film OST (that I can remember now) and I believe they are all well known.

Shape of my heart (Sting) - Leon (1994)
Kissing You (Des'ree) - Romeo and Juliet (1996)
She (Elvis Costello) - Notting Hill (1999)
Tennessee (Hans Zimmer) - Pearl Harbour (2001)
The trouble with Love is (Kelly Clarkson) - Love Actually (2003)

Each of them produces specific emotions that audiences already have experienced through the film. Like, when listening to the Romeo and Juliet OST- Kissing You, audience can recall the scene where Romeo and Juliet first meet each other since it is so memorable. Notting Hill and Leon OST that I listed appear at the end of the film and somehow the mood of the music matches with the genre of the film. I personally like Pearl Harbour's soundtrack although it is mostly orchestral music because you can feel its own special emotional characteristic by the music as the music has been well tied-in with the narrative.

No comments: