Sunday, April 22, 2007

STOMP

Youtube is actually the most amazing thing ever. I knew it was useful, but the quality’s kinda crappy so I wanted to find the dvd of STOMP OUT LOUD to do my research assignment on. However calling around 20 video stores and coming up empty handed, I have resorted to Youtube, what a lifesaver.

So STOMP. Those of you who haven’t heard of them, OMG.



BTW does anyone have the dvd by any chance?

So STOMP initially started out as a live theatre performance of rhythm and movement using everyday objects. Having never seen their live performance, I can still safely say the screen version can’t justify the incredible energy that can come from this group. ‘Stomp out loud’ demonstrates the limitations of mediation in its lack of atmosphere that is created by a live audience and performance fuelled by adrenaline. Performance sound is part of that energy and atmosphere, the vibrations, the contrast of sounds that can only be witnessed and felt as it’s being created, its surrounding, engulfing presence. Screen music in contrast has a flat and one-dimensional feel to it. It does help to bring another level to the imagery, it compliments it to trigger an emotional response within the audience, but it’s also very unnoticeable because of its fluidity. Just as editing is made to look seamless so is the music. The commonly non-diegetic nature of music gives it a secondary position as it’s ‘just added’ to the visuals, as opposed to coming from the visuals.

STOMP OUT LOUD the movie lacks the atmosphere that I assume would come with such an energetic performance, however it does emphasise the diegetics of the live performance. It makes sure that the sounds that are created are shown to have come from the film world, for that’s really the purpose of STOMP - their sounds are authentic, created with bits and pieces of everyday objects, not with computers, synthesizers or other electronic technology – and it isn’t generated from nowhere. The visuals are created specifically to emphasise where the sounds are coming from, the shots are directed at the source of the sounds.

I can’t think of anyting else.

No comments: