Saturday, April 21, 2007

Rock, Emo and Gender

Hi y’all... So, I want to do my research project on something about this...

I think it’s pretty much accepted that the reason that women have been excluded from producing rock music is because rock music is masculine domain, and women are taught from a young age that they have to be feminine... The first step to playing the electric guitar is cutting your long manicured nails... But even if women do have the desire to be a rock star then they have to play by men’s rules and wear their guitars slung like men and sing like men... and I mean really, can you think of any successful women rock groups? If you can, then just think about how many men out number them!

So anyway this got me thinking about how things have changed since the time when rock was so fashionable... and guess what is so fashionable now? Yep that’s right good ole emo music. I would hardly call emo music masculine domain... but yet, men are still the dominant music producers.... WHY IS THIS?

My Chemical Romance even had a big spiel about how they hate rock music because of the “show us your tits” attitude to women... but maybe rock and emo are not that far apart? Remember all the glam metal bands that wore makeup and yet still claim it to be masculine... I don’t know... Any ideas?

1 comment:

rochelle said...

yea i think emo sort of makes them androgynous. if you see that chicken tegal takeouts, the emo boy and girl are made to look exactly the same because there's no real seperation of sex within this emo fashion. Unlike other genres such as rock and hip hop where women are merely just objectified and denegrated. thats a good topic. gotta love the emo.