Hi everyone
I was just thinking how some t.v series like Sex and the City which I adore contains hardly any music in the show. For example, the opening music sequence is probably the only bit of music that is used besides some instrumental stuff to convey emotions in the scenes of the characters. It was just interesting because the opening musical piece with the credits is such a recognised tune and people download it as their ringtone on their phones yet the show itself includes no incorporation of any musical artists or anything. It would have been interesting to see the rise of music sales if artists/bands had been featured in the series since the show was such a huge hit. Although, the series was filmed from around 1997 - 2004 - its interesting to see the comparison with t.v shows now such as grey's anatomy which has given rise to bands such as Snowpatrol. Just something I was thinking about....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Following on from what you began to say about Greys Anatomy - it seems to me that Greys has been the first TV show that I have noticed so vividly (although I'm sure it is not exclusive to this practice) which does have a strong link to popular music promotion. The way in which the show seems to do this the most is through their advertisements. They always pick a song which is featured in that week's episode and play it over the ad, it is prominent in the aural space so that it seems to engage with the narrative and attract viewers. More than this it also attracts fans of Greys Anatomy to that particular song or artist. I have noticed that they often use songs which have just recently been released or even are just about to be released (at least in New Zealand, they probably have already been released in the U.S) and this helped kick start the popularity of these songs. As with the case of Snow Patrol and 'Chasing Cars' a few weeks after the episode that used that song Snow Patrol's new album was marketed with "get the album with music from Grey's Anatomy" and the sticker on the front of the CD case said something similar. I think music in Grey's Anatomy works very well with the narrative and to promote the popularity or both the TV show and the music featured in it.
Post a Comment