
Speaking of ‘Forrest Gump’ being set in the past, I just thought of the film ‘Grease’ (1978).
As ‘Grease’ was set in the 1950s, it would be interesting to study at how the film generated nostalgia for a 1970s audience. Not only does ‘Grease’ feature some songs from the 1950s (remade by cover band Sha Na Na) but the film explodes with images of 50’s cars, drive-in movies, juke boxes, burger joints, big skirts, leather jackets and slicked back hair- to name just a few. I guess that these were reminders of a 1950s youth for an (american) adult audience in the 1970s. But what makes ‘Grease’ still popular thirty years later? Especially to teenagers and kids in New Zealand?
And on another note…as there is so much discussion in relation to sexism- should we be angry that Sandy had to turn “bad ass” to win the guy in the end? Or do you think she could really just do with “loosening up” a little? Or did she become the empowering female taking control over him? Should we embrace her celebration of female sexuality?
Or should we all ease up as its just entertainment? Personally I think the ending of ‘Grease’ was a little flakey but I still love the movie. Is it really worth getting angry about if no one is getting hurt and the product is sold?
3 comments:
I was always disappointed with the ending of Grease too. Why does Olivia Newton-John have to turn into a leather-clad skank? Why doesn't John Travolta become a plaid-wearing square?
Ha ha, I guess plaid wearing squares didn't sell back then! Even today, I don't think Ive seen a guy turn geek. Isn't is usually the geeky guy turns cool, or the bad boy turns good...but never a geek. Maybe I'm wrong and don't watch enough teen flicks.
Grease is one of my all time favourite movies and I’m sure others too. Grease was a big hit back then; it was also ranked number 21 on Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Best high school movies. Also Grease’s soundtrack was remarkable. The movie's soundtrack was a number one album in many different countries even till this day people still play its songs in the clubs even with new remixes. That is why after thirty years Grease is still popular among teenagers and kids in New Zealand.
Post a Comment