
down to Queen Street I recently made. I had to go up to the Sky Tower gift shop to get something for visiting relatives, and on my way back down - what did I see shining down on me? - Dan Carter’s nearly naked body. (Not that I’m complaining or anything...) Carter of course is the poster boy for the new Jockey Performance underwear range for Men. He was also the model for the 2004 campaign but this 2007 campaign will go global seeing Dan grace countries such as the United Kingdom. In this poster only two things are really noticeable – his abs, his “hotness” and his um...jockeys...?
You can also click onto the website http://www.jockeyperformance.co.nz/ and on the introduction page you can watch Dan in his Jockey’s doing sit ups over and over and over and over again, which I did in fact do (purely for research reasons though of course.)
But back to my walk down Queen Street...After stopping in the middle of the pedestrian crossing and having my moment with Dan I continued on walking and what did I happen to see? No, not another poster of Dan, but a huge billboard ad for Mentos Gum. There is also a TV advert for it, I’m sure you would have seen it; man eats Mentos gum, then his nipples extend about 10cm which he then uses to catch a Frisbee. Sound familiar? Well, in Queen Street is the billboard version of this which is close up billboard of a guy’s chest, then there are tube-like pipe-like objects actually extending from his nipples in the poster (much like the TV advert does). I couldn’t find a picture of it, but I’m sure you know the one I mean. But again, with this advert you are supposed to be drawn to his abs, and his sexiness and again - his hottness.
You can also click onto the website http://www.jockeyperformance.co.nz/ and on the introduction page you can watch Dan in his Jockey’s doing sit ups over and over and over and over again, which I did in fact do (purely for research reasons though of course.)
But back to my walk down Queen Street...After stopping in the middle of the pedestrian crossing and having my moment with Dan I continued on walking and what did I happen to see? No, not another poster of Dan, but a huge billboard ad for Mentos Gum. There is also a TV advert for it, I’m sure you would have seen it; man eats Mentos gum, then his nipples extend about 10cm which he then uses to catch a Frisbee. Sound familiar? Well, in Queen Street is the billboard version of this which is close up billboard of a guy’s chest, then there are tube-like pipe-like objects actually extending from his nipples in the poster (much like the TV advert does). I couldn’t find a picture of it, but I’m sure you know the one I mean. But again, with this advert you are supposed to be drawn to his abs, and his sexiness and again - his hottness.
These are just some examples of the way men are portrayed using their sexuality to sell. The same is in music too. Take rapper Snoop Dogg for example – he has brought the whole “pimp” culture into music. He glorifies the pimp culture lifestyle – exploiting themselves with all their “women”, and their “bling” and the what nots that go with it.
But males are sexualised,their bodies being are exploited, they are using their sexuality to sell products, I mean, who would be interested in buying Jockey’s if say an unknown, unfortunate looking male were the spokesperson for it? Who would want to watch a video of a fully clothed male with every single music video? Surely you wouldn't! And that is the whole point - take an attractive male or female; use their sexuality and body as an asset to help sell a product or music video. I’m not saying that it’s JUST men that we should support, because it is both sexes that are part of it (particular in the music video industry where half naked women are constantly shoved in our faces), we just have to realise that we shouldn’t just be going on about how badly sexualises women are being in today’s society – because it is the men too - not that I’m complaining or anything...
4 comments:
this is so true. It's like you read my mind.
As for the mentos campaign...i actually wanted to vomit when i saw those sickening nipples protruding from the billboard.
what is this world coming to???that it needs to plaster freakishly erect nipples in order to sell a few mints!
I really agree with you. I think way too many people are focusing on women as sexual objects and are ignoring how men are used as well. I don't neccessarily think that its a bad thing though... modern marketing- in whatever form- is designed for modern society's tastes and desires.
Very True!! except is it such a bad thing? given, i am absolutely repulsed by the mentos nipple ad, but the fact is, I remembered it. It remained embedded in my memory. Almost everybody knows about or has seen the ad. and isnt this ultimately the object of advertising?!! i ask you, would you remember an old fat hairy man with erect nipples for the same reasons? would the elevator scene have the same comedic effect? would it be uncouth to use a female with erect nipples? mentos has used this particular body for specific reasons (and they have worked). im not saying he isnt exploited, but does he have a problem with being exploited? same goes with Dan Carter (bless him). yes, he is being exploited for his body, but if it brings him more money, more publicity (even worldwide now, apparently), and more foot-traffic at games, is it really a negative effect??
Hiya..From my viewing of the video I think the mans sexuality is actually made a joke of..in fact many of us are repulsed by the squirming elongated nipples he has grown. What's interesting to me is how shots of the 'offending' body part are quickly juxtaposed next to images of sexy women. I think the first sign of his nipple growing is then almost relieved visually by the ass of a woman skating by! This relationship continues thruout where it is 'repulsive' man followed by sexy woman. Although I agree with you that men's sexuality IS promoted in the media I would hesitate to say its present in this clip, at least in the traditional form of discussing it, i.e. we should be getting turned on or celebrating it , in a nz 'toffeepops' ad sort of a way... fiFA
Post a Comment