Why do i scream??
Being a huge fan of The Beatles and bands in general I can understand this manic fan behaviour on a very personal level. As I am usually one of the screaming females pictured in the lecture it was interesting to analyse this behaviour as a media studies student and have a good giggle at their extreme facial expressions.
What I would like to address is why we as human beings find ourselves caught up in extreme emotions of love for others that we idolise. I constantly seem to surprise myself with my uncontrollable behaviour when band members walk on stage. Where does my passion come from? Why do I scream? C’mon Steph, get a grip its just MUSIC.
What about the obsessive fan, the one who becomes convinced that they can have a relationship with their object of affection. The anger that is derived from their rejected adoration can often have quite extreme repercussions. You only need to look as far as Eminems ‘STAN’, a scary reminder that the delusions of an obsessive fan can become more than dangerous.
There are exceptions of course. I am convinced the lead singer of The Mint Chicks, Kodi Nielsen, will fall madly in love with me at some point or another. I mean there has to be someone that scores sooner or later, right?
3 comments:
I agree with you. Especially with the Eminem - Stan thing. It is amazing what extremes fans can go to just to get a glimpse of their idol. I remember reading this article in a magazine about this teenager somewhere who constantly sent emails to Justin Tumberlake during school time. Was very odd indeed! But it is quite freaky how people can be stalkerish-obsessivey.
I agree with you both. This is maybe a different kind of fan appreciation, but it reminded me again of the Rutles with their parody of the Beatles' Anthology series, Archaeology. Being a spin-off of Monty Python, I think they do go against the grain of the over-zealous fans a bit. I think spoof bands like that both try to highlight the fan culture, how the producers can also be in on the joke, and ways in which fans idolise artists they only know from the screen.
Stella
wow...i am like totally feeling you.
like on a whole new level that no one else understands.
wow.
Post a Comment