HI All.
Thought I would climb on the bandwagon concerning the representation of gender in music videos. Most of the postings have had valid points and forgive me if this starts to sound just a little repetitive.
I think there is a line, albeit a fine one, between representation and misrepresentation of gender. For example, Fergie's body in "My HUmps" is used to display just exactly what humps the Black Eyed Peas are talking about. It is a celebration of a woman's form and yet is a slightly tongue in cheek one in that, and certainly positions the male viewer in a negative light. I find myself covertly watching guys watching Fergie or indeed any other female star on music videos. Maybe I'm paranoid , but I certainly do not think I am alone and this 'paranoia' concerning what your guy is watching instead of you, is greatly influenced by the gender positioning of music videos. As to the representation of the female body itself, I agree that Fergie has every right to display her body in any way she chooses and in this case it furthers the 'narrative' of the music video.
However, it is inexcusable for videos to have women prancing around the screen in the skimpiest of outfits, and fawning over, lets face it, not exactly the most attractive men on the planet. This representation of women, who are simply present to emphasise the greatness of the male artist (various rappers and justin timberlake to be precise), is degrading and positions them simply as sexual objects, with none of the 'power' associated with star status (as in the case of Fergie, for example). The drooling male in front of the tv screen is a position, not simply implied, as in "My Humps", but naturalised and made the norm.
The latest Ne-Yo Video and track "Because of You", is a case in point. Ne-Yo's 'girlfriend' and 'bit on the side', while undoubtedly there to further the narrative, are not given the status of the female performer and are placed as objects whose existence is simply for Ne-Yo's pleasure. Certainly, the whole point of the song as far as I can understand it, is that Ne-Yo's dalliance is because his girlfriend wont give him enough (sex?) , so it is all her fault!!!! Hmmmm not exactly respectful towards women, and even less so towards men, who are placed as helpless, sex-mad beings who cannot remain faithful when a better piece of booty comes their way.
Just a thought
Kate Van NIekerk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment