It is interesting going from the feature films, and thinking that the soundtrack is meant to support the visuals, and then going to the music videos where the visuals are meant to support the soundtrack. There appears to be no coherent balance between the two, as one must be subverted for the other.
And then I found the AMV (Anime Music Video) An AMV is like a music video in that there is a video being played to a song, but this video is created from a collection of clips from an anime program or from video game video sequences. This is only something that I’ve started to get into but from what I’ve seen here appears to be some excellent stuff. But the most interesting thing about it is that neither the visuals nor the soundtrack appear to be dominant in any that I’ve seen, but rather they work together.
I was thinking as to why this was, and I have come up with 2 reasons. One, there are both pre-existing. One is not created to work for the other, but they are both available from the start of creation and, because of this, they both bring their own different past associations with them into the AMV, which is fairly important. The visual side is bringing in the storyline of the anime/video game which not only comes from the canon culture, but also from whichever fansites that they have been to, and the audio side is bringing in the associations from wherever the music has been played and reproduced, as well as associations from the performers themselves.
Secondly, they are not created for money (if they were, there would be big legal issues). One is not being used to SELL the other, as has been pointed out for the visuals in normal music videos. The idea of it being done by amateurs for no monetary gain allows the two to work together so that the final result is a product where the AMV has the soundtrack with the visuals, and neither subverts the other.
And to get you into either agreeing or disagreeing, here’s an example, (just follow this link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh3oWTDBhAA
Sunday, April 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment